- Ζώνη Ώρας
- GMT - 6:00
- Τηλ. Κωδικός
- 00504 2
- Honduran Lempira (HNL)
Κλείστε φθηνά αεροπορικά εισιτήρια για Tegucigalpa. Ταξίδι για διακοπές ή για εργασία. Για όποιον λόγο και να ταξιδεύετε το Travelkiki βρίσκει για εσάς αεροπορικά εισητήρια για Tegucigalpa εύκολα και γρήγορα. Οργανώστε το ταξίδι σας και αφήστε το Travelkiki να σας κλείσει τα πιο φθηνά αεροπορικά εισιτήρια για Tegucigalpa!
Have you always dreamt of travelling to Central America? Starting from Honduras, you can easily find cheap air fares to Tegucigalpa, the lush green capital! Perched at an altitude of one kilometre and surrounded by endless forests, Tegucigalpa features a mild and pleasant climate, ideal for your holidays. Though not so popular as a travel destination, the Central American capital will captivate you with its beauties; elegant colonial architecture and top notch museums for your cultural and spiritual indulgence, cutting-edge modern trends in music, arts and design for your entertainment. Remaining a budget-friendly destination, Tegucigalpa has many cheap hotels and other accommodation choices, to satisfy every taste and need. Looking for an overseas holiday destination off the beaten path? Travel to Honduras!
Tegucigalpa was founded in 1578, but it was in 1880 when the city gained the status of the capital of Honduras, at the initiative of President Parco Aurelio Soto. Holding a strategic location 1,000 metres above sea level and protected by the tremendous heat the surrounding area suffers from, Tegucigalpa is one of the top travel destinations in Central America.
Comayagüela, Honduras’s former capital, was annexed to Tegucigalpa in 1938, doubling its size and population, which today exceeds 1,000,000.
Tegucigalpa’s historic core boasts a fabulous collection of museums and galleries, churches and fine examples of colonial architecture, just a few steps from lush forests and green valleys.
What defines Tegucigalpa the most though are its people. In Tegucigalpa, the locals are friendly and genuinely kind, happy to welcome you, get to know you and be part of your fantastic holidays in Honduras!
The main airport of Tegucigalpa (Toncontín International Airport) is located 6 kilometres outside the city centre.
Getting around Tegucigalpa
You can get around Tegucigalpa by bus or by taxi (minimum fare costs 24.22 HNL).
Begin your day in Tegucigalpa at the city’s historic centre, named Parque Morazán. This is the colonial core of the city, around which you can spot the most significant museums, churches and historical locations of the city.
Famous religious sites include:
- The Baroque Cathedral of Tegucigalpa, that sits at the eastern side of the Parque Morazán. Built in 1765, the cathedral is dedicated to San Miguel, patron saint of the city.
- A few steps further, the Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de los Dolores dominates the busy Plaza de Los Dolores square, featuring exquisite examples of religious artwork.
- The Basílica Nacional de Suyapa is by far the largest and most sacred cathedral in Honduras. Stories say that it was constructed to serve as the home of a statue of Virgin Mary with alleged miraculous and healing properties.
Tegucigalpa takes pride in being considered as the museum-capital of Honduras. The following museums are not to be missed:
- The National Identity Museum (Museo para la Identidad Nacional) is the most notable museum in the city, housed in a renovated former Presidential Palace of the 19th century. With a wide variety of collections of photographs, documents, works of art and artefacts, the museum provides a travel back in time through the long history of Tegucigalpa, offering you a thorough presentation of the main attributes of Honduras’s nation.
- The National Art Gallery (Galería Nacional de Arte) houses collections of art masterpieces, made by the top of the top of local artists. Beautifully combined with historical items and artwork dating back to the Maya and other older civilisations, the collections are extremely interesting and captivating.
- Chiminike is your choice if you’re travelling with children. Just a couple of kilometres from the city centre, this extraordinary museum invites everyone to a fascinating journey to the Maya history, the natural environment and the human nature!
The official language of Tegucigalpa is Spanish. English is widely spoken and other indigenous languages like Mískitu and Garifuna have also gained official status.
To enter Honduras, you need to have a passport, valid up until 6 months after your travel dates. Greek citizens do not need a Visa, for a maximum stay of 90 days.
When to Go
Tegucigalpa has a tropical climate, featuring two distinct seasons, a dry and a wet one.
The dry season lasts from December to April and is considered a peak-season for travellers to Honduras, as the weather is pleasant, temperatures are not too high and humidity is relatively low.
The wet season lasts from April to November and is characterised by a large percentage of humidity, leading to frequent downpours and storms. Nevertheless, visiting off-season could mean that you can find more budget-friendly choices in airtickets and hotels and still be able to enjoy many of the region’s sights and experiences.
So pick a date according to your budget and purpose of visiting, plan your itinerary and you can safely visit Tegucigalpa any time of the year.